Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why I'm Not a Hippie

Yesterday my friend Sarah was over and my mom called.
Me: Hey, Ma, you know what I did? On Sunday we ran out of milk and I've been trying to cut out dairy, you know, to help Netanel's behavior. So I had about a kilo and a half of almonds, and I made almond milk! How cool is that? and now I have the almond meal left over to make cookies. And his gannenet (=pre-school teacher) told me that he's been exceptional this week - so I think its really working!
Mom: Great, Ayelet. wow, ok.
(from the next room, Sarah:  You're such a Hippie!)
Me, laughing: Mommy, my friend thinks I'm a Hippie cuz I make my own almond milk.
Mom: So what else is new?

Well, I've never been a conformist (<-- see any non-hippiness yet?) so I decided to go about proving why I can't be stereotyped.
To those of you who know me well, I know you're laughing!
Here's what I came up with:

  1. I don't co-sleep (from the hours of 5:30-6am when Yoram takes Yitzchak out of my bed)
  2. I don't wear my baby (when I'm holding him) and niether does Yoram.
  3. I do not nurse in public (if my kid isnt hungry)
  4. I haven't breastfed past 2 years old (b/c I caught listeria when Miss O was 22 months old and I was already 13 weeks pregnant and so dehydrated that I couldn't get out of bed for 2 weeks.)
  5. I use disposable diapers (when all the cloth is in the wash)
  6. I trust the doctors and obstetricians (to care for sick people or high risk pregnancies, which is why I choose to have my normal, healthy babies at home)
  7. I haven't read Spiritual Midwifery (since last year because we haven't bought bookshelves yet, so our books are still in boxes)
  8. I vaccinate my children (for a few things on my own schedule)
  9. We take medicine when we're sick (well, my kids think it's medicine. It's really raw honey, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar...)
  10. I use birth control (well, I wont take hormones, but I've been charting using the Fertility Awareness Method for 6 years.)
  11. I don't live in an eco-friendly house (b/c we're renting)
  12. I don't wear Birkenstocks (I wear Naot - to weddings)
  13. I don't wear long, flowy clothing (to bed)
  14. I trust the labels on all the products in the supermarket (that's why I mostly buy raw ingredients and make most of our food from scratch)
  15. I am not a vegetarian (I've just barely eaten any meat for months)
  16. I don't have my own organic farm (yet)
  17. I don't homeschool (and no, I haven't been considering it and researching it since Netanel started school - ok that's a lie, yes I have!)
  18. I don't have anything to write here, but I really wanted to get to 20!
  19. I do not listen to bluegrass and classic rock (b/c these days we're listening to Sandra Boynton and Uncle Moishe)
  20. And finally, I don't play guitar, and the first song I didn't learn was not "Blowin' in the Wind" (were there enough negatives in there to cancel them all out?
 
So, do I get a medal or something? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ayelet, I'm so glad you started a blog! I love reading it! I always consider myself a non-conformist but not next to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! personally, i think the important thing is intellectual honesty. there are a lot of social and religious and political conventions that I do conform to, b/c I think they are true. So, rock on and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete