Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The "Mother's Curse" Has Befallen Me

Ok, Ma, admit it! Once upon a time, when I was a little, curly headed toddler, being my adorable, opinionated, stubborn self - you wished this upon me! You said, "I hope one day you have a daughter just like you, and then you'll know what it's like!" Well, I hope you're happy now, Mommy, because I now know what it must have been like - and I'm sorry!

One day last week, as the morning began to wane, and my little, curly-headed toddler was still not dressed, I decided to try a new tactic. I grabbed a crayon and a piece of blue paper and started drawing.
Me: Look, I'm drawing a picture of Odeliya! Here are her pretty curls, her big brown eyes, (My model expresses interest.) And here's your beautiful smiling mouth, (big grin from the model!) But, uh oh! where's her shirt? I can't draw your shirt because you're still in your pj's!
Odeliya immidiately starts to pull off her top, and I'm feeling kind of smug... and then - she whips around, grabs the crayon from my hand and says, "I will draw it!"

So much for creative parenting! Grrr!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment