Monday, May 31, 2010

The non-existential post

There's something brewing just under the surface of my consciousness, and it's not the coffee. It's a transformation I'm experiencing and I have been trying to express it in words for the past month to no avail.

Yesterday I applied myself to the task. The house was quiet, Yoram was doing work for a client, the kids were asleep, I'd had a productive day. I opened up a new post in blogger and started to write - nothing. I tried WordPress, thinking it might help to use a different format. Still nothing. So I shut off the internet and opened a document in OpenOffice, thinking that if I treat it as a random piece of writing as opposed to something I plan on sharing with the world, maybe the creative juices would start flowing... Not even a sentence emerged.

I closed my computer, and dug out a pen and a paper notebook - I abandoned the idea of a title or any purpose at all, just allowed the pen to flow along the sheets of lined paper... It did flow, which I discovered when I woke up half an hour later with ink marks on my hand and my cheek!

So I've decided to let that go for now. Apparently this new experience is not ready to have an expression outside of myself yet. 

Since I am sure that you are now reading this feeling very let down and disappointed, fear not! I will not leave you thus sulking in uncertainty and anticipation! I will leave you with something much more substantial and exciting than the expression of my existential transformation could possibly achieve...

Recipes! 

I made a really delicious salmon for Shavuot that was inspired by a recipe in Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions. I humbly submit it for your enjoyment:

Salmon and Scallions

Ingredients:
  • 5-7 salmon fillets
  • bunch of green onions (scallions) chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
  • 1" chunk of ginger, grated
  • 1/4 C soy sauce
  • 1/4 C rice vinegar
  • 1/4 C honey
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper
Instructions:
  • preheat oven to 350F/190C 
  • lightly grease a 9x13 pan or use parchment paper
  • lay fillets, skin side down in the pan
  • sprinkle chopped scallions over salmon
  • in a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over salmon
  • cover tightly and bake 15-20 minutes until just done.
  • toasted sesame seeds (I prefer toasting them myself, just toss them in a hot skillet until they get brown - but careful not to let them burn!)
I served this at room temperature and then again the next day (and then again a few days later!)
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge

So what are you serving this with?? 
How about:

Sweet and Spicy Veggies w/ Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup rice, cooked*
  • 4-5 large carrots cut into coins
  • 1 bunch spinach
  • 3 Tbs butter or oil
  • 1/4 C honey
  • 1/2 tsp grated ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • salt and pepper
Instructions:

*You can prepare any rice you like in your favorite way. My personal favorite is whole grain basmati rice which I toast with some olive oil before adding boiling water. 
  • wash spinach but don't dry it, just shake off excess water, set aside.
  • In a medium saucepan (larger than 2 quarts) melt butter over med heat
  • Add carrots and stir to coat
  • Cover pot and cook carrots until they just begin to soften (~3-5 min) 
  • Add spinach and stir
  • Cover pot again and cook another 5 minutes (just enough for the spinach to get wilted and the carrots to soften)
  • add the rest of the ingredients and stir to coat
  • cook, covered, another 5 minutes
  • toss over rice and serve!
The nutritional benefits of this complete meal are fantastic! The combination of the fish with the rice and lightly cooked vegetables ensure that all the nutrients: protein, calcium, iron, carotenes, Vitamins B and C (just to name a few!) are all at their highest levels of bio-availability! (that means your body will actually be able to absorb and use the nutrients in this meal when it is served together.)

בתאבון!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment